Motorcycle Training East London
CBT London, CBT East London, Compulsory Basic Training
Direct Access (DAS)
This course is available to anyone 24 years or older. The test is taken on a 600 cc manual machine. You must hold a current UK Provisional or Full Driving licence. You must hold a current CBT certificate (DL196).You must pass a theory test before you can take the practical test.
The training is undertaken firstly on a 125cc manual machine. If all the disciplines are there and working well, you will then progress onto a 600cc manual machine the following day. This training is to ensure you are confident on the bigger, longer, heavier and more powerful machine before you undertake the Module 1 training.
If you have not had any on road experience with the larger bikes (eg held a full licence abroad) this course must be undertaken as part of your DAS Training. From the 27.4.09 the test is in two parts called module 1 and module 2.
This is called the specified manoeuvres test, and is conducted on an off road site and involves element you will have done on your CBT. Throughout this test you are expected to use full and affective observations. You will be required to:-
1. Take the bike on and off the stand, under full control.
2. Wheel the bike around in a semi-circle backwards, 180 degrees, under full control.
3. Then ride forwards through a slalom for 5 cones.
4. Then straight into 2 figure of eights.
5. The examiner will then ask you to stop. He will then ask you to ride to a set of cones as though you are riding in slow moving traffic.
6. The next thing you will encounter is the U-turn, (which is conducted between 2 painted lines 7.5 metres apart).
7. This then leads in to a controlled stop, (stopping with the front wheel in a box made of 4 cones).
8. You will then move back over to the start point and ride the circuit a second time and pass the timing lights at 50 km/h, then conduct an emergency brake manoeuvre.
9. You will then accelerate up to 50 km/h or 32 mph and pass through timing lights which record your speed before doing the avoidance test, (you must be doing 50 km/h as you pass the timing lights or it will be deemed a failed attempt. You are allowed 2 attempts as long as you haven’t hit the cones on your first attempt). Module 1 is expected to take approximately 15 minutes.
Having passed module 1 the pass will be tagged to your theory test and is valid for the life of your theory test certificate. You then are eligible to take module 2.
This is an on road riding test which must last at least 50 minutes. At the start you will be given an eyesight check and will be asked safety questions. The test will include a hill start and an angled start, but does not include the U-turn and controlled stop. Having passed module 2 you get your full category A licence straight away.